After you have completed both assignments for Chapters 2 and 3, discuss how you can use these theorists' philosophies to provide a theoretical basis for your teaching. Is it necessary to reflect on psychological underpinnings when you develop a lesson? Why or why not?
For this and all subsequent posts, you are required to post your response and then respond to at least one classmate's post.
I feel that I would use the Albert Bandura theory as "practice what you preach". It was more of a theory for younger ages but I do believe that no matter how old the student gets that they will learn from actions.
Jean Piaget would play a big role in how I instructed the courses I teach. I believe in hands on experience especially for business and technology. There would obviously be a lot of visual aids.
The psychology is always (to me anyway) necessary to keep in mind when developing any kind of lesson in class. The reason is because the class transfers to real life situations and you always want to try and make students as mentally healthy as possible.
I think it is important, for several reasons, to reflect on theorists philosophies as lessons are developed. First, simply because the ideas are not impulsive or rash – much research and study has been done on the educational theories we are focusing on. As a new teacher, I think it is important to take advantage of what has been used in the past and capitalize on what others have learned.
I believe these theories can provide an advantage to teachers as they develop lessons, strategies and techniques for the classroom. Theories, such as Piaget’s theory of cognitive development, provide an insight into a child’s thought process and tell us what they are likely capable of understanding and accomplishing at certain ages. Other theories, like constructivism, give us ways in which students can learn effectively and efficiently. All of this information will be extremely helpful to me as I develop lessons. Without an understanding of the psychological side of education I feel as I am almost going at the task blindly. I plan to take advantage of the information I have learned about educational theories as I begin my teaching career.
Christal S - I expect for Piaget's theory to play a big role my instruction as well. I plan to teach in the lower elementary grades and think this theory will be very helpful as I develop lessons for my students. Without an understanding of what my students are capable of doing or processing, I could easily be planning lessons that are not appropriate for my students.
Sarah, I am going into early childhood or working in a kindergarten class and as you stated these theories can help us to better develop lesson plans instead of taking on a task blindly. I am glad that we have had these theorists take the time to do the research to help us become better educators.
When we review all the theorists in this unit most of them touch on different areas or expand on other's research. I am working on my early childhood unified degree and feel that the theorists have provided a foundation and a better understanding of how children learn, cope, and understand socially and academmically. I think that Gardners Theory is the theory that I will use more often than the others. Children in early childhood normally cannot read or write introducing lesson plans through the multiple intelligences will help the children learn with the least amount of frustration.
It is important to look at all the theories that we reviewed this week when creating a lesson plan because of the many different children with different learning styles and capabilities that we will come across in our teaching careers. No two people learn alike so lesson plans need to be adjusted and need to be age appropriate.
Sarah- I do feel that the philosophy's help us in our lesson planning. It helps us to be aware of developmental practices that we need to use in the classroom. In Piaget's theory he goes through the different stages and this gives us an idea of what our students will be doing as they develop cognitively. However I also think it is important to realize that not all students follow these guidelines that the philosophy's teach us. This does not mean that our students have something wrong but does give us an idea as to track them to make sure there is not a complication that needs to be addressed.
Piaget and Vygotsky are two theorist that I would base my teaching on. I am going into special education and I feel that cognitive development is very important in this field. Before students can move on they must master the different levels that Piaget explains. To me this makes sense when working with a special education classroom We can not expect a student to know division if they have not mastered multiplication yet. I feel that this is important in lesson planning. Some students may have mastered certain subject areas but you have to know the students within your classroom in order to know what they are ready for. In constructing the lesson you have to be able to look at your classroom and know the capabilities of the class. No not all class members are going to be at the same level at the same time. However if the majority of your class seems immature, then we as teachers need to know the expectations that you are going to have for these students. I feel that Piaget and Vygotsky has many good things to offer in their theories.
As an educator, we need to reflect on the theorist's philosophies when we are creating lesson plans. The many theories have much to offer if taught in the correct way. There has been much research and time devoted into these theories and there has been research done to support that these theories are proven methods to teach more effectively if used correctly or used at all. Instead of reinventing the wheel, we can use models of work that have already been done to better improve our teaching, student learning and retention.
I think all of the theories and theorists are relevant and helpful. I liked Piaget's theory of Cognitive Development because it provides information about a child's thought process and tells us what they are usually able to do and capable of understanding at certain ages. This is very helpful information, especially for a first year teacher. Perhaps I did all of my internships and student teaching with 1st-3rd graders. What will happen if my first job offer is with 5th graders? There is a lot of differences in learning between 1st-3rd graders in comparison to 5th graders.
Constructivism tells us ways in which students can learn efficiently. This is all very helpful information to know when developing lesson plans.
Cher B- I believe you are right on that the students need to master one level before moving on to the next level that Piaget explains. I do not feel this is just for Special Education I believe this is the case for all students. If more students were allowed to learn at their own pace then we would not leave anyone behind. Of course, with the reality of knowing that some students are not capable of learning the next level. As teachers we would have to decide that on a case-by-case situation.
Sarah S: You are correct. I couldn't agree with you more. I think all of the theories are important. I also think that Constructivism and Cognitive Development are particularly important.
Vygotsky's theory is the most appropriate for me because I teach children 13months to 3 years old. I beleive that children learn best when their in the zone of proximal development. This age group also needs to be assisted. I also believe in Erickson's thoery of social development because children learn best from their culture. I think it's very important to connect with children's life experiences. I do believe that it's important to use psycological beliefs because some of the beliefs have been researched and it's a good way to keep in mind where the students may be.
This is the first time I have looked at the different theories at the same time and it made me realize how important it is to understand them all. No one theory is completely relevant to every student, but the combination of them can provide a good theoretical basis for teaching. There is no one that I can base my teaching on but I believe that there are aspects of each theory that, as teachers, we may need to take into account when determining how to interact with our students. For exmaple, Piaget emphasises that children learn in different ways at different stages of life and that teachers need to understand these differences to meet the needs of students, while Erikson suggests that we cannot completely understand our students unless we understand how their experiences affect their behaviors. I believe that both can be true, and that we need to understand both. At the same time we can't overlook Bandura's theory of social learning where our students are learning from what we do and who we are as well as from other students. The most important thing I get from these theorires is how important it is to understand our students' differences. Their psychological underpinnings are the foundation on which they stand, therefore our lessons should be developed to make these foundations stronger. Teachers build upon what is already there, and the more we understand what we are building on the stronger it will be in the end.
Martecia - I liked your comment about using these theories instead of "reinventing the wheel". I think it is important to use these studies to understand who our students are and how they learn. It was hard for me to pick one theory as a basis for my teaching because I feel like there is a lot of truth in all of them, depending on the student. I know there are a lot of teachers that end up in a grade level they did not prepare for, just as you said, and it is important to understand that sometimes a teacher needs to change how he/she does things. These theories can help us understand what changes our students experience and how they become who they are.
Emily L-I completely agree with you when you say you can't use just one theory to base your teaching on, but it's a combination of all of the different theories. I believe by doing this will make a better and stronger teacher. This is also the first time I have ever looked into all the different theorist snd educational theories.
I think it is very critical that we base our lesson plans on the educational theories. These theorist's laid it all out there for us, now all we have to do is simply use it. I think when I become a teacher, I will use a little bit of information from all the theorists. They make very valid points and have research to back it up. I believe by doing this, we can become better and more knowledgeable teachers. I am a physical education major, so I Bruner's idea about visual aids and examples. In P.E. we use visual aids or equipment everyday, and everything is hands on. With Piaget and Kohlberg, they were both cognitive development, Kohlberg just took it a little further. They said that children learn in stages and we know what to expect in all those different stages. That is how we teach P.E. as well. We also use social interaction and peer development in class. In my opinion it is very important for students to learn how to work with each other at a young age, because they will be doing it for the rest of their lives. They need to learn how to work together and accomplish things. So I do believe we need to focus on psychological underpinnings when we are developing our lessons, it helps the students grow into well rounded individuals.
By basing our lesson plans on educational theories, we are acknowledging the extensive amount of research that has been done in education and are agreeing to teach according to the best practices that are available.
Each one of the theorists that we studied could as easily be intertwined with another. As teachers, we should take key points from each theorist and apply it in our every day lessons.
Strategies such as hands-on learning, respect for one another, cooperative learning, small groups, etc. are all things we can apply to our lessons in order to create an environment that is developmentally appropriate for our students.
Audrey - As a coach and a weightlifting teacher, I agree with you about Bruner's idea about visual aids and examples. It's important for students to be actively involved in the progress that they make throughout their learning process.
I also agree that it is important for students to understand how to treat their peers. They must know how to respect themself as well as others.
As educators, we should base our lesson plans on the philosophies of the theorists that we studied in the assignment. Each theorist spent a great amount of time researching their developmental ideas and have laid out their reasoning for each theory. I believe that all of these theories can be taken into consideration when learning about how people develop and grow intellectually. If educators understand these developmental processes, then they will be more knowledgable and understand the differences in each student allowing better interaction with them.
I don't believe that there is one specific theory that I could base my teaching on. Each theory provides different aspects of development and I believe that each idea is an important part of the individual growth process.
The psychologoical underpinnings of these theories have given educators a foundation to build on when trying to understand the developmental process. It is very important to reflect on these theories when developing lesson plans because we want to reach all students and provide them with the best possible learning experience.
Emily - I agree with you in that educators need to understand the differences in students so that they can meet their needs. Both Piaget and Erickson suggest that the needs of children are affected by their different stages of development, so by understanding each stage, educators can determine the basis for their needs and behaviors.
The theorist who I studied was Lawrence Kohlberg. His theoretical perspective is based of Jean Piaget’s psychological theories. Kohlberg used these and delved deeper into the growth and maturation of young children through their teen years and into society as a whole. As teachers, we too will be working with young students as they grow and mature into society. In looking at Kohlberg’s Six Stages of Moral Development model, I can see ways in which his model will work well with my teaching and I want to focus on his model in this blog.
First and foremost, my work with students will primarily revolve around his Level II Conventional Morality stage. It will start with Stage 3, or good interpersonal relationships. This is the stage were students see morality as more than simple deals as they did when they were younger. My work in teaching students will be within a physical education department, so I will probably work in a different manner than a classroom teacher. For me, my work will deal with teaching students respect and having students work within my classroom, or gym, to get ready for the outside society. I want my students to have good interpersonal relationships with others in the class and to understand what it means to have good behavior. I do not want students to behave well and respect others because they have to. I want them to learn to do so because it is morally right and that treating others with respect will get them respect in turn. This is truly a part of society that we live in. We should not do things because we are supposed to, but because we know that they are the right things to do and because they are morally correct. This in turn leads straight into Stage 4 of Kohlberg’s stages of moral behavior, maintaining the social order. Because the previous stage worked well with students who know each other and are friends, this stage is more important because I want my students to be able to function in society. I would like for my students to obey the rules of my class, respect me and their peers, and be a functioning part of the class. This will help them become members of society as a whole in just a few short years, all while learning the importance of physical education. To me, I do not think that it is that important to reflect on any type of psychological underpinnings, at least not in my lesson plans. For me, simply treating students with respect, helping them learn, and showing I care will help them to develop well on their own, as long as I understand their developmental stages.
Connie, I dont think that there is only one theorist that I could use either in my teachings. I think understanding each one of them, at least a little, would help in my teaching young students. Each one of these is important to the overall individual growth of children.
Audrey, I too am a pe major and visual aids are extremely important. Bruners ideas are very beneficial to both you and me. Also the social aspect that you said takes place in our environments are important. I do believe we need to focus on psychological underpinnings as weel when we are developing our lessons. Anything to help students become well rounded is important.
I think it is very important to reflect on educational theories when designing a lesson plan. Educational theorist give so much in the way of how to reach all kinds of children. One theorist that I real like is Howard Gardner. I like Gardner because he focuses on the eight intelligences:Logical-Mathematical,Linguistic, Musical, Visual-Spatial,Bodily-Kinesthetic, Interpersonal, Intrapersonal and Naturalist. Gardner says that all humans have multiple and varying amounts of each type of intelligence. This theory allows for all children to be different. A teacher can use this particular theory as a remember that not all children will excel at the same things at the same time. As I have been in the classroom more because of my internships I have gotten to see how real teachers in the field use different educational theories in classroom situations, it as been nice for me to see how it all really comes together.
Martecia, I very much agree with you on not re eventing the wheel when it comes to theorist. Theorist have done a huge amount of research and testing in real classrooms and have found strategies that can really improve a child's education. I think it is great that we as future teachers really get to benefit from their hard work.
I think that it is very important to utilize different theories in developing curriculum and specific lessons in teaching. This is especially true for working with young children. It is critical that teachers have an understanding of child development and how children learn. This is basis of what developmentally appropriate practice means, which is an important concept in Early Childhood Education. I believe that it is important to use an eclectic theoretical approach in working with young children, as one theory can not be fully inclusive. Some of the major theorists I think play the most important role in educating young children are Erickson, Piaget, Vygotsky, and Gardner. Many comprehensive curriculum programs give credit to these theories in the development of their programs, i.e. Creative Curriculum. I also think that it is important that a teacher have a balance between the knowledge of child development and experience gained from developing a relationship with a each child. Each child is an individual and every theory does not fit exactly for everyone.
Knowing how students learn is one of the biggest attributes of an effective teacher and awareness of the teaching methods that will allow each student to obtain the best possible education is absolutely imperative. Educational psychology and the study of theorists and their theories make it possible for teachers to better understand their students and how they learn best. Fortunately, we are offered many different theories and the implications for instruction associated with each theory. Teachers today are offered many different teaching methods that can be tailored to each individual student.
In the culturally diverse area of Kansas in which I live, I appreciate the theorists such as Kohlberg and Bandura who utilize modeling in their teaching strategies. When language barrier is a major factor in the classroom, modeling proper behavior and learning practices and rewarding students who demonstrate appropirate classroom behavior and learning methods can make a huge difference. We may develop a theoretical basis for teaching without even knowing it. Building on background knowledge (experiences students have already had) and using manipulatives are wonderful teaching methods. These methods are not new, but are based on years of study by theorists such a Piaget and Bruner. The theorists we are studying now have studied students extensiverly and it is through their investigations and conclusions that we are able to determine the most effective ways to teach each one of our students. The theorists we study have spent years developing teaching methods that work or are easily adapted to all students; we study their theories in order to develop teaching stratigies that work in our own classrooms.
It is absolutely necessary to reflect on psychological foundations when developing a lesson so that each student has an opportunity to learn at his or her full potential. Again, not all students learn the same. As with Gardner's Theory of Multiple Intelligences, we must allow students to learn using the style that best suits them and we must provide a little of each of those multiple intelligences so that the needs of each of our students is met. As with Piaget's schemata, teachers must ensure that students have background knowledge of a concept or vocabulary before introducing it as part of a lesson. For example, if the sentence used to introduce the short /o/ sound is "Ollie observes olives," a teacher must take into consideration whether or not his or her sutdents know what olives are and what "observe" means. Consider bringing a telescope or magnifying glass and a can of black olives to class. It is very important to reflect on psychological underpinnings when developing a lesson, even if that means merely building background knowledge or letting the students sing a song to remember the days of the week.
You were given a great theorist to research in terms of your ultimate teaching goals! Kohlberg's Theory of Moral Development fits well with what the goals for physical education students; teaching students to respect one another is huge in a physical education setting and your understanding of that is wonderful!
I agree with your response to Connie H. about not being able to chose just one theory or theorist to which to adhere in the classroom. We need to figure out what works best for us as teachers and for our students. That may be a combination of every theorist we study. That is why having this knowledge is so important.
One thing about which I would like to respectfully disagree with you is your answer regarding the lack of importance of considering psychological underpinnings when developing physical education lesson plans. I think maybe we all consider some psychological foundations when creating lesson plans, even if we are unaware that we do it. Your insightful thoughts about Kohlberg and the levels/stages of your students tell me that you already consider psychological underpinnings in your lesson plans.
You mention reaching students in your first paragraph--that is so true. It should be our goal to "reach" every one of our students regardless of how we need to do that. Studying educational psychology and educational theories make reaching our student possible.
You are also right that Gardner's Theory of Multiple Intelligences allows children to be different and to learn differently. As teachers we must remember to show our students that being different or learning in a different way is OK. The various theorists and theories give us ample strategies to do just that.
Have you seen any educational theories implemented by your mentor teachers that you believe you will use in your own classroom or that really stand out for you? I am always interested to know what others see because I am not always great at pinpointing the theories utilized in my classrooms.
NikkiB- You made some really good points in both your post and responses to others. It seems that you have a good understanding of what is important in educating children. I agree strongly with your thoughts on children as individuals and being able to tailor your teaching strategies to fit their experience and knowledge. Great example for teaching "O"!
Every teacher must determine what their philosophy of education is and which theory or theories they subscribe to. Equally as important, are the pedagogies you choose to implement based on the theories and that they have been proven effective through research. (Not that you can't try new things, but why struggle, when you could already know the efficacy of the strategy?) So, I think it is more than deciding which one you like best. Most important for me were the implications for learning. I know that I will incorporate cooperative learning into my classroom on a regular basis because it is one of the most common pedagogies referred to. To answer the question, yes, it is very important that we astutely examine the psychological basis for our day-to-day lesson planning. If we don't we will either fail to keep the process of education in mind and resort to easier, less effective, teaching, or we will succumb to teaching to the test and not to students. Furthermore, if we are aware of why we are doing what we do, we can adjust our practices in the classroom to meet the needs of the students. Otherwise, we would not have at our fingertips the various tools to reach them.
Connie H., I couldn't agree with you more. I don't believe that it is a matter of choosing which theorist you like best, but more seeing how they all flow together and complement one another. It seems as though each one has a different piece of the puzzle or a different twist or application of a similar theory.
Christal S., I am glad you commented on "practice what you preach" because I think it has so very many applications. There are so many things we need to model for students. The Moral Reasoning that Kohlberg presents must be modeled for students, but so does correct grammar and writing. Despite one's content area, all teachers should be competent writers so that in all classes things such as proper writing are constantly being reinforced in a positive way.
I am also a firm believer in "practice what you preach". My mother is also. I notice that if the parents are calm and use calming words to explain situations or issues to their children, the child is also calmer. I witnessed once a student that began to yell at the other students when he was frustrated. We found out later that the parents were going through a divorce and the child witnessed or heard several arguments between the parents. This also makes me a firm believer in knowing the studnets' background and the psychology that comes with it. It was enough for us to know that there was a change in the student's behavior.
The theorist's concepts are very important to developing lesson plans as a teacher. Piaget's Theory of Cognitive Development can help us to develop lessons that are appropriate the students' age and cognitive levels. Kohlberg's Theory of Moral Reasoning gives insight to helping the students learn to problem-solve and use reasoning to solve dilemmas and respect others. Bandura's Social Learning Theory encourages support of the classroom community which flows to the child's other environments. Bruner's constructivism helps to build on the students' previous knowledge and experiences. Hands-on learning and linking the material that is being taught to their experiences can help them retaint he information.
As teachers one of our most important tasks is to create and deliver effective lessons which create long-term changes in cognition and behavior. In order to complete these tasks effectively one must turn to psychologist’s theories to base lesson plans around. These theories have all contributed to the understanding of human learning. Each theory provides the models, approaches, techniques and tools to be successful and effective in the classroom. It is important to use a combination of theories when creating and implementing lessons. No one theory will benefit every student in the classroom.
One of the important theories I would take into account in my lessons and teaching is Piaget’s theory of Cognitive development. Piaget provides teachers with insight on a student’s thought processes. He also identifies what the students should be able to accomplish and what they are capable of understanding based on age. This helps teachers identify if a student is ahead or behind according to their age.
Another important theory I would implement within my lesson planning process is Erikson’s Stages of Development. Erikson’s theory aims to prove that it is important to understand that a student’s experience will affect their behavior. I believe this to be true in many cases. For example, if a student has had a rough time with school the previous years prior to being in my classroom, this will drastically effect how they feel about school and my classroom. Understanding why they feel the way they do can help me as a teacher help to change the negative feelings behind it.
Bandura also has an important theory we as teachers must consider. Bandura’s theory of Social Learning shows students not only learn from our actions as teachers but the actions of their peers as well.
We must remember as teachers that each student can be vastly different. When we use many different theories to help create quality lesson plans this will allow for the students’ success in the classroom.
I agree with you that Kohlberg’s Theory of Moral Reasoning in important to consider as a teacher. Students need to understand and be able to problem-solve independently. Allowing for that foundation to start in the classroom will help them deal with any dilemmas they may encounter throughout their school years, as well as life. Also, providing a solid structure for students to learn respect for one another is an invaluable lesson.
After doing the assignments for chapters 2 and 3 I gained a better understanding of all the theorists and their theories/philosophies. Every day in school at some point or another, some theorist’s theory is being implemented into the classroom. I think that without the theories there wouldn’t be a basis for what should occur as well as how. I can use the theorists’ philosophies to refer to when creating and implementing lesson plans and daily activities. Sometimes the theorists come up with more than just one philosophy but are directed towards the same area of development. After completing my powerpoint over my theorist and reviewing everyone else’s I quickly learned about a number of different theories, their main concepts and terms, and how they can be implemented into the classroom; some were as simple as doing certain activities while others were much more complicated. As a teacher one should strive to be very effective to ensure that every one of his/her students is given the same opportunity to learn. It is hard for me to say which if any theorists and theory I absolutely like over the others because I think that they are all very beneficial and will come to help me in the near future. When it comes to developing a lesson plans, I strongly agree that it is important to reflect on the psychological underpinnings. These psychological underpinnings are very important because not all students are the same and they definitely don’t learn the same so lesson plans, teaching strategies, and learning activities need to be tailored to fit each student. Reflecting psychological underpinnings can be done in the smallest manner possible yet still have one of the greatest impacts in a child’s learning. Every teacher is different, especially in the way that he/she teaches and so I think that different theorists and their theories may or may not apply in certain classrooms. I really enjoyed learning all this information about all the theorists and their theories and especially how to implement them into the everyday classroom on a regular basis. Students learn differently and teachers teach differently so teaching methods and learning styles have to altered to fit everyone’s needs and best interests.
I think that you made a good point in saying that how children learn is one of the biggest attributes of an effective teacher. I agree when you said that educational psychology and the study of theorists and their theories make it possible for teachers to better understand their students and how they learn best; without these I sometimes wonder how well students would learn and just how well teachers would understand their students. I like how you related particular theorists and their theories to the area in which you live; sometimes it helps one to better understand the theory. Finally, I took believe that it is absolutely necessary to reflect on psychological underpinnings when developing lesson plans because without doing so students wouldn’t be able to reach their full potential in learning. I really enjoyed reading your post and thought that you made several good points!
I feel that you should think about the psychological underlying penning of the students but should not feel obligated to change lessons around for those students. I feel that the student who may have the psychological penning should have one on one tutoring and help with the lessons that the rest of the class will be participating in. Those students who have psychological penning should be able to have that extra help and attention that is needed for them and the rest of the students to succeed in education.
I also think that children need to have the ability to know how to solve problems in the everyday world. Without knowing Kohlberg's theory children will be in a world of hurt surviving in our world today.
As an educator in today's society, I feel as teachers that we need to reflect/rely on some the the theorist's philosophies when we are creating lesson plans. There are so many things offer in them if we do it the correct way. I wouldn't ever second guess the correct way in the theories as there has been so much research done on them. Theories if used properly can really improve your teaching styles and help one become more effective in the classroom.
I feel all of the theories and theorists are good resources and very helpful. I liked Piaget's theory of Cognitive Development because it provides information about a child's thought process and how one would develop. I feel this will help me the most when I am teaching skills in a physical education class. This information can be very useful for a first year teacher. As I am going to be student teaching soon, this will help me to know the difference in learning for a 1st grader to a 5th grader.
Audrey I didn't even think about Bruner's concepts with visual aids and examples. It is very important to show everything you teach in a physical education setting. That is how students learn by demonstration and watching.
After you have completed both assignments for Chapters 2 and 3, discuss how you can use these theorists' philosophies to provide a theoretical basis for your teaching. Is it necessary to reflect on psychological underpinnings when you develop a lesson? Why or why not?
ReplyDeleteFor this and all subsequent posts, you are required to post your response and then respond to at least one classmate's post.
Post and response due February 12, 2010.
Okay, second try! The first blog did not post.
ReplyDeleteI feel that I would use the Albert Bandura theory as "practice what you preach". It was more of a theory for younger ages but I do believe that no matter how old the student gets that they will learn from actions.
Jean Piaget would play a big role in how I instructed the courses I teach. I believe in hands on experience especially for business and technology. There would obviously be a lot of visual aids.
The psychology is always (to me anyway) necessary to keep in mind when developing any kind of lesson in class. The reason is because the class transfers to real life situations and you always want to try and make students as mentally healthy as possible.
I think it is important, for several reasons, to reflect on theorists philosophies as lessons are developed. First, simply because the ideas are not impulsive or rash – much research and study has been done on the educational theories we are focusing on. As a new teacher, I think it is important to take advantage of what has been used in the past and capitalize on what others have learned.
ReplyDeleteI believe these theories can provide an advantage to teachers as they develop lessons, strategies and techniques for the classroom. Theories, such as Piaget’s theory of cognitive development, provide an insight into a child’s thought process and tell us what they are likely capable of understanding and accomplishing at certain ages. Other theories, like constructivism, give us ways in which students can learn effectively and efficiently. All of this information will be extremely helpful to me as I develop lessons. Without an understanding of the psychological side of education I feel as I am almost going at the task blindly. I plan to take advantage of the information I have learned about educational theories as I begin my teaching career.
Christal S - I expect for Piaget's theory to play a big role my instruction as well. I plan to teach in the lower elementary grades and think this theory will be very helpful as I develop lessons for my students. Without an understanding of what my students are capable of doing or processing, I could easily be planning lessons that are not appropriate for my students.
ReplyDeleteSarah, I am going into early childhood or working in a kindergarten class and as you stated these theories can help us to better develop lesson plans instead of taking on a task blindly. I am glad that we have had these theorists take the time to do the research to help us become better educators.
ReplyDeleteWhen we review all the theorists in this unit most of them touch on different areas or expand on other's research. I am working on my early childhood unified degree and feel that the theorists have provided a foundation and a better understanding of how children learn, cope, and understand socially and academmically. I think that Gardners Theory is the theory that I will use more often than the others. Children in early childhood normally cannot read or write introducing lesson plans through the multiple intelligences will help the children learn with the least amount of frustration.
ReplyDeleteIt is important to look at all the theories that we reviewed this week when creating a lesson plan because of the many different children with different learning styles and capabilities that we will come across in our teaching careers. No two people learn alike so lesson plans need to be adjusted and need to be age appropriate.
Sarah- I do feel that the philosophy's help us in our lesson planning. It helps us to be aware of developmental practices that we need to use in the classroom. In Piaget's theory he goes through the different stages and this gives us an idea of what our students will be doing as they develop cognitively. However I also think it is important to realize that not all students follow these guidelines that the philosophy's teach us. This does not mean that our students have something wrong but does give us an idea as to track them to make sure there is not a complication that needs to be addressed.
ReplyDeletePiaget and Vygotsky are two theorist that I would base my teaching on. I am going into special education and I feel that cognitive development is very important in this field. Before students can move on they must master the different levels that Piaget explains. To me this makes sense when working with a special education classroom We can not expect a student to know division if they have not mastered multiplication yet. I feel that this is important in lesson planning. Some students may have mastered certain subject areas but you have to know the students within your classroom in order to know what they are ready for. In constructing the lesson you have to be able to look at your classroom and know the capabilities of the class. No not all class members are going to be at the same level at the same time. However if the majority of your class seems immature, then we as teachers need to know the expectations that you are going to have for these students. I feel that Piaget and Vygotsky has many good things to offer in their theories.
ReplyDeleteAs an educator, we need to reflect on the theorist's philosophies when we are creating lesson plans. The many theories have much to offer if taught in the correct way. There has been much research and time devoted into these theories and there has been research done to support that these theories are proven methods to teach more effectively if used correctly or used at all. Instead of reinventing the wheel, we can use models of work that have already been done to better improve our teaching, student learning and retention.
ReplyDeleteI think all of the theories and theorists are relevant and helpful. I liked Piaget's theory of Cognitive Development because it provides information about a child's thought process and tells us what they are usually able to do and capable of understanding at certain ages. This is very helpful information, especially for a first year teacher. Perhaps I did all of my internships and student teaching with 1st-3rd graders. What will happen if my first job offer is with 5th graders? There is a lot of differences in learning between 1st-3rd graders in comparison to 5th graders.
Constructivism tells us ways in which students can learn efficiently. This is all very helpful information to know when developing lesson plans.
Cher B- I believe you are right on that the students need to master one level before moving on to the next level that Piaget explains. I do not feel this is just for Special Education I believe this is the case for all students. If more students were allowed to learn at their own pace then we would not leave anyone behind. Of course, with the reality of knowing that some students are not capable of learning the next level. As teachers we would have to decide that on a case-by-case situation.
ReplyDeleteSarah S:
ReplyDeleteYou are correct. I couldn't agree with you more. I think all of the theories are important. I also think that Constructivism and Cognitive Development are particularly important.
Vygotsky's theory is the most appropriate for me because I teach children 13months to 3 years old. I beleive that children learn best when their in the zone of proximal development. This age group also needs to be assisted.
ReplyDeleteI also believe in Erickson's thoery of social development because children learn best from their culture. I think it's very important to connect with children's life experiences.
I do believe that it's important to use psycological beliefs because some of the beliefs have been researched and it's a good way to keep in mind where the students may be.
This is the first time I have looked at the different theories at the same time and it made me realize how important it is to understand them all. No one theory is completely relevant to every student, but the combination of them can provide a good theoretical basis for teaching. There is no one that I can base my teaching on but I believe that there are aspects of each theory that, as teachers, we may need to take into account when determining how to interact with our students. For exmaple, Piaget emphasises that children learn in different ways at different stages of life and that teachers need to understand these differences to meet the needs of students, while Erikson suggests that we cannot completely understand our students unless we understand how their experiences affect their behaviors. I believe that both can be true, and that we need to understand both. At the same time we can't overlook Bandura's theory of social learning where our students are learning from what we do and who we are as well as from other students. The most important thing I get from these theorires is how important it is to understand our students' differences. Their psychological underpinnings are the foundation on which they stand, therefore our lessons should be developed to make these foundations stronger. Teachers build upon what is already there, and the more we understand what we are building on the stronger it will be in the end.
ReplyDeleteMartecia - I liked your comment about using these theories instead of "reinventing the wheel". I think it is important to use these studies to understand who our students are and how they learn. It was hard for me to pick one theory as a basis for my teaching because I feel like there is a lot of truth in all of them, depending on the student. I know there are a lot of teachers that end up in a grade level they did not prepare for, just as you said, and it is important to understand that sometimes a teacher needs to change how he/she does things. These theories can help us understand what changes our students experience and how they become who they are.
ReplyDeleteEmily L-I completely agree with you when you say you can't use just one theory to base your teaching on, but it's a combination of all of the different theories. I believe by doing this will make a better and stronger teacher. This is also the first time I have ever looked into all the different theorist snd educational theories.
ReplyDeleteI think it is very critical that we base our lesson plans on the educational theories. These theorist's laid it all out there for us, now all we have to do is simply use it. I think when I become a teacher, I will use a little bit of information from all the theorists. They make very valid points and have research to back it up. I believe by doing this, we can become better and more knowledgeable teachers.
ReplyDeleteI am a physical education major, so I Bruner's idea about visual aids and examples. In P.E. we use visual aids or equipment everyday, and everything is hands on. With Piaget and Kohlberg, they were both cognitive development, Kohlberg just took it a little further. They said that children learn in stages and we know what to expect in all those different stages. That is how we teach P.E. as well. We also use social interaction and peer development in class. In my opinion it is very important for students to learn how to work with each other at a young age, because they will be doing it for the rest of their lives. They need to learn how to work together and accomplish things. So I do believe we need to focus on psychological underpinnings when we are developing our lessons, it helps the students grow into well rounded individuals.
By basing our lesson plans on educational theories, we are acknowledging the extensive amount of research that has been done in education and are agreeing to teach according to the best practices that are available.
ReplyDeleteEach one of the theorists that we studied could as easily be intertwined with another. As teachers, we should take key points from each theorist and apply it in our every day lessons.
Strategies such as hands-on learning, respect for one another, cooperative learning, small groups, etc. are all things we can apply to our lessons in order to create an environment that is developmentally appropriate for our students.
Audrey - As a coach and a weightlifting teacher, I agree with you about Bruner's idea about visual aids and examples. It's important for students to be actively involved in the progress that they make throughout their learning process.
ReplyDeleteI also agree that it is important for students to understand how to treat their peers. They must know how to respect themself as well as others.
As educators, we should base our lesson plans on the philosophies of the theorists that we studied in the assignment. Each theorist spent a great amount of time researching their developmental ideas and have laid out their reasoning for each theory. I believe that all of these theories can be taken into consideration when learning about how people develop and grow intellectually. If educators understand these developmental processes, then they will be more knowledgable and understand the differences in each student allowing better interaction with them.
ReplyDeleteI don't believe that there is one specific theory that I could base my teaching on. Each theory provides different aspects of development and I believe that each idea is an important part of the individual growth process.
The psychologoical underpinnings of these theories have given educators a foundation to build on when trying to understand the developmental process. It is very important to reflect on these theories when developing lesson plans because we want to reach all students and provide them with the best possible learning experience.
Emily - I agree with you in that educators need to understand the differences in students so that they can meet their needs. Both Piaget and Erickson suggest that the needs of children are affected by their different stages of development, so by understanding each stage, educators can determine the basis for their needs and behaviors.
ReplyDeleteThe theorist who I studied was Lawrence Kohlberg. His theoretical perspective is based of Jean Piaget’s psychological theories. Kohlberg used these and delved deeper into the growth and maturation of young children through their teen years and into society as a whole. As teachers, we too will be working with young students as they grow and mature into society. In looking at Kohlberg’s Six Stages of Moral Development model, I can see ways in which his model will work well with my teaching and I want to focus on his model in this blog.
ReplyDeleteFirst and foremost, my work with students will primarily revolve around his Level II Conventional Morality stage. It will start with Stage 3, or good interpersonal relationships. This is the stage were students see morality as more than simple deals as they did when they were younger. My work in teaching students will be within a physical education department, so I will probably work in a different manner than a classroom teacher. For me, my work will deal with teaching students respect and having students work within my classroom, or gym, to get ready for the outside society. I want my students to have good interpersonal relationships with others in the class and to understand what it means to have good behavior. I do not want students to behave well and respect others because they have to. I want them to learn to do so because it is morally right and that treating others with respect will get them respect in turn. This is truly a part of society that we live in. We should not do things because we are supposed to, but because we know that they are the right things to do and because they are morally correct. This in turn leads straight into Stage 4 of Kohlberg’s stages of moral behavior, maintaining the social order. Because the previous stage worked well with students who know each other and are friends, this stage is more important because I want my students to be able to function in society. I would like for my students to obey the rules of my class, respect me and their peers, and be a functioning part of the class. This will help them become members of society as a whole in just a few short years, all while learning the importance of physical education. To me, I do not think that it is that important to reflect on any type of psychological underpinnings, at least not in my lesson plans. For me, simply treating students with respect, helping them learn, and showing I care will help them to develop well on their own, as long as I understand their developmental stages.
Connie, I dont think that there is only one theorist that I could use either in my teachings. I think understanding each one of them, at least a little, would help in my teaching young students. Each one of these is important to the overall individual growth of children.
ReplyDeleteAudrey,
ReplyDeleteI too am a pe major and visual aids are extremely important. Bruners ideas are very beneficial to both you and me. Also the social aspect that you said takes place in our environments are important. I do believe we need to focus on psychological underpinnings as weel when we are developing our lessons. Anything to help students become well rounded is important.
I think it is very important to reflect on educational theories when designing a lesson plan. Educational theorist give so much in the way of how to reach all kinds of children.
ReplyDeleteOne theorist that I real like is Howard Gardner. I like Gardner because he focuses on the eight intelligences:Logical-Mathematical,Linguistic, Musical, Visual-Spatial,Bodily-Kinesthetic, Interpersonal, Intrapersonal and Naturalist. Gardner says that all humans have multiple and varying amounts of each type of intelligence. This theory allows for all children to be different. A teacher can use this particular theory as a remember that not all children will excel at the same things at the same time.
As I have been in the classroom more because of my internships I have gotten to see how real teachers in the field use different educational theories in classroom situations, it as been nice for me to see how it all really comes together.
Martecia, I very much agree with you on not re eventing the wheel when it comes to theorist. Theorist have done a huge amount of research and testing in real classrooms and have found strategies that can really improve a child's education. I think it is great that we as future teachers really get to benefit from their hard work.
ReplyDeleteI think that it is very important to utilize different theories in developing curriculum and specific lessons in teaching. This is especially true for working with young children. It is critical that teachers have an understanding of child development and how children learn. This is basis of what developmentally appropriate practice means, which is an important concept in Early Childhood Education.
ReplyDeleteI believe that it is important to use an eclectic theoretical approach in working with young children, as one theory can not be fully inclusive. Some of the major theorists I think play the most important role in educating young children are Erickson, Piaget, Vygotsky, and Gardner. Many comprehensive curriculum programs give credit to these theories in the development of their programs, i.e. Creative Curriculum.
I also think that it is important that a teacher have a balance between the knowledge of child development and experience gained from developing a relationship with a each child. Each child is an individual and every theory does not fit exactly for everyone.
Knowing how students learn is one of the biggest attributes of an effective teacher and awareness of the teaching methods that will allow each student to obtain the best possible education is absolutely imperative. Educational psychology and the study of theorists and their theories make it possible for teachers to better understand their students and how they learn best. Fortunately, we are offered many different theories and the implications for instruction associated with each theory. Teachers today are offered many different teaching methods that can be tailored to each individual student.
ReplyDeleteIn the culturally diverse area of Kansas in which I live, I appreciate the theorists such as Kohlberg and Bandura who utilize modeling in their teaching strategies. When language barrier is a major factor in the classroom, modeling proper behavior and learning practices and rewarding students who demonstrate appropirate classroom behavior and learning methods can make a huge difference. We may develop a theoretical basis for teaching without even knowing it. Building on background knowledge (experiences students have already had) and using manipulatives are wonderful teaching methods. These methods are not new, but are based on years of study by theorists such a Piaget and Bruner. The theorists we are studying now have studied students extensiverly and it is through their investigations and conclusions that we are able to determine the most effective ways to teach each one of our students. The theorists we study have spent years developing teaching methods that work or are easily adapted to all students; we study their theories in order to develop teaching stratigies that work in our own classrooms.
It is absolutely necessary to reflect on psychological foundations when developing a lesson so that each student has an opportunity to learn at his or her full potential. Again, not all students learn the same. As with Gardner's Theory of Multiple Intelligences, we must allow students to learn using the style that best suits them and we must provide a little of each of those multiple intelligences so that the needs of each of our students is met. As with Piaget's schemata, teachers must ensure that students have background knowledge of a concept or vocabulary before introducing it as part of a lesson. For example, if the sentence used to introduce the short /o/ sound is "Ollie observes olives," a teacher must take into consideration whether or not his or her sutdents know what olives are and what "observe" means. Consider bringing a telescope or magnifying glass and a can of black olives to class. It is very important to reflect on psychological underpinnings when developing a lesson, even if that means merely building background knowledge or letting the students sing a song to remember the days of the week.
In response to Mark V.
ReplyDeleteYou were given a great theorist to research in terms of your ultimate teaching goals! Kohlberg's Theory of Moral Development fits well with what the goals for physical education students; teaching students to respect one another is huge in a physical education setting and your understanding of that is wonderful!
I agree with your response to Connie H. about not being able to chose just one theory or theorist to which to adhere in the classroom. We need to figure out what works best for us as teachers and for our students. That may be a combination of every theorist we study. That is why having this knowledge is so important.
One thing about which I would like to respectfully disagree with you is your answer regarding the lack of importance of considering psychological underpinnings when developing physical education lesson plans. I think maybe we all consider some psychological foundations when creating lesson plans, even if we are unaware that we do it. Your insightful thoughts about Kohlberg and the levels/stages of your students tell me that you already consider psychological underpinnings in your lesson plans.
In response to Mary H.
ReplyDeleteYou mention reaching students in your first paragraph--that is so true. It should be our goal to "reach" every one of our students regardless of how we need to do that. Studying educational psychology and educational theories make reaching our student possible.
You are also right that Gardner's Theory of Multiple Intelligences allows children to be different and to learn differently. As teachers we must remember to show our students that being different or learning in a different way is OK. The various theorists and theories give us ample strategies to do just that.
Have you seen any educational theories implemented by your mentor teachers that you believe you will use in your own classroom or that really stand out for you? I am always interested to know what others see because I am not always great at pinpointing the theories utilized in my classrooms.
NikkiB- You made some really good points in both your post and responses to others. It seems that you have a good understanding of what is important in educating children. I agree strongly with your thoughts on children as individuals and being able to tailor your teaching strategies to fit their experience and knowledge. Great example for teaching "O"!
ReplyDeleteEvery teacher must determine what their philosophy of education is and which theory or theories they subscribe to. Equally as important, are the pedagogies you choose to implement based on the theories and that they have been proven effective through research. (Not that you can't try new things, but why struggle, when you could already know the efficacy of the strategy?) So, I think it is more than deciding which one you like best. Most important for me were the implications for learning. I know that I will incorporate cooperative learning into my classroom on a regular basis because it is one of the most common pedagogies referred to. To answer the question, yes, it is very important that we astutely examine the psychological basis for our day-to-day lesson planning. If we don't we will either fail to keep the process of education in mind and resort to easier, less effective, teaching, or we will succumb to teaching to the test and not to students. Furthermore, if we are aware of why we are doing what we do, we can adjust our practices in the classroom to meet the needs of the students. Otherwise, we would not have at our fingertips the various tools to reach them.
ReplyDeleteConnie H., I couldn't agree with you more. I don't believe that it is a matter of choosing which theorist you like best, but more seeing how they all flow together and complement one another. It seems as though each one has a different piece of the puzzle or a different twist or application of a similar theory.
ReplyDeleteChristal S., I am glad you commented on "practice what you preach" because I think it has so very many applications. There are so many things we need to model for students. The Moral Reasoning that Kohlberg presents must be modeled for students, but so does correct grammar and writing. Despite one's content area, all teachers should be competent writers so that in all classes things such as proper writing are constantly being reinforced in a positive way.
ReplyDeleteTesting!!! I have tried posting 4 times now and it is not working.
ReplyDeleteOf course it would work this time :)
ReplyDeleteNow... to reply to Christal:
ReplyDeleteI am also a firm believer in "practice what you preach". My mother is also. I notice that if the parents are calm and use calming words to explain situations or issues to their children, the child is also calmer. I witnessed once a student that began to yell at the other students when he was frustrated. We found out later that the parents were going through a divorce and the child witnessed or heard several arguments between the parents. This also makes me a firm believer in knowing the studnets' background and the psychology that comes with it. It was enough for us to know that there was a change in the student's behavior.
The theorist's concepts are very important to developing lesson plans as a teacher. Piaget's Theory of Cognitive Development can help us to develop lessons that are appropriate the students' age and cognitive levels. Kohlberg's Theory of Moral Reasoning gives insight to helping the students learn to problem-solve and use reasoning to solve dilemmas and respect others. Bandura's Social Learning Theory encourages support of the classroom community which flows to the child's other environments. Bruner's constructivism helps to build on the students' previous knowledge and experiences. Hands-on learning and linking the material that is being taught to their experiences can help them retaint he information.
ReplyDeleteAs teachers one of our most important tasks is to create and deliver effective lessons which create long-term changes in cognition and behavior. In order to complete these tasks effectively one must turn to psychologist’s theories to base lesson plans around. These theories have all contributed to the understanding of human learning. Each theory provides the models, approaches, techniques and tools to be successful and effective in the classroom. It is important to use a combination of theories when creating and implementing lessons. No one theory will benefit every student in the classroom.
ReplyDeleteOne of the important theories I would take into account in my lessons and teaching is Piaget’s theory of Cognitive development. Piaget provides teachers with insight on a student’s thought processes. He also identifies what the students should be able to accomplish and what they are capable of understanding based on age. This helps teachers identify if a student is ahead or behind according to their age.
Another important theory I would implement within my lesson planning process is Erikson’s Stages of Development. Erikson’s theory aims to prove that it is important to understand that a student’s experience will affect their behavior. I believe this to be true in many cases. For example, if a student has had a rough time with school the previous years prior to being in my classroom, this will drastically effect how they feel about school and my classroom. Understanding why they feel the way they do can help me as a teacher help to change the negative feelings behind it.
Bandura also has an important theory we as teachers must consider. Bandura’s theory of Social Learning shows students not only learn from our actions as teachers but the actions of their peers as well.
We must remember as teachers that each student can be vastly different. When we use many different theories to help create quality lesson plans this will allow for the students’ success in the classroom.
In response to Colleen S.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that Kohlberg’s Theory of Moral Reasoning in important to consider as a teacher. Students need to understand and be able to problem-solve independently. Allowing for that foundation to start in the classroom will help them deal with any dilemmas they may encounter throughout their school years, as well as life. Also, providing a solid structure for students to learn respect for one another is an invaluable lesson.
After doing the assignments for chapters 2 and 3 I gained a better understanding of all the theorists and their theories/philosophies. Every day in school at some point or another, some theorist’s theory is being implemented into the classroom. I think that without the theories there wouldn’t be a basis for what should occur as well as how. I can use the theorists’ philosophies to refer to when creating and implementing lesson plans and daily activities. Sometimes the theorists come up with more than just one philosophy but are directed towards the same area of development. After completing my powerpoint over my theorist and reviewing everyone else’s I quickly learned about a number of different theories, their main concepts and terms, and how they can be implemented into the classroom; some were as simple as doing certain activities while others were much more complicated. As a teacher one should strive to be very effective to ensure that every one of his/her students is given the same opportunity to learn. It is hard for me to say which if any theorists and theory I absolutely like over the others because I think that they are all very beneficial and will come to help me in the near future. When it comes to developing a lesson plans, I strongly agree that it is important to reflect on the psychological underpinnings. These psychological underpinnings are very important because not all students are the same and they definitely don’t learn the same so lesson plans, teaching strategies, and learning activities need to be tailored to fit each student. Reflecting psychological underpinnings can be done in the smallest manner possible yet still have one of the greatest impacts in a child’s learning. Every teacher is different, especially in the way that he/she teaches and so I think that different theorists and their theories may or may not apply in certain classrooms. I really enjoyed learning all this information about all the theorists and their theories and especially how to implement them into the everyday classroom on a regular basis. Students learn differently and teachers teach differently so teaching methods and learning styles have to altered to fit everyone’s needs and best interests.
ReplyDeleteIn response to Nikki B.
ReplyDeleteI think that you made a good point in saying that how children learn is one of the biggest attributes of an effective teacher. I agree when you said that educational psychology and the study of theorists and their theories make it possible for teachers to better understand their students and how they learn best; without these I sometimes wonder how well students would learn and just how well teachers would understand their students. I like how you related particular theorists and their theories to the area in which you live; sometimes it helps one to better understand the theory. Finally, I took believe that it is absolutely necessary to reflect on psychological underpinnings when developing lesson plans because without doing so students wouldn’t be able to reach their full potential in learning. I really enjoyed reading your post and thought that you made several good points!
Natausha Dechant
I feel that you should think about the psychological underlying penning of the students but should not feel obligated to change lessons around for those students. I feel that the student who may have the psychological penning should have one on one tutoring and help with the lessons that the rest of the class will be participating in. Those students who have psychological penning should be able to have that extra help and attention that is needed for them and the rest of the students to succeed in education.
ReplyDeleteIn response to Collene S.
ReplyDeleteI also think that children need to have the ability to know how to solve problems in the everyday world. Without knowing Kohlberg's theory children will be in a world of hurt surviving in our world today.
As an educator in today's society, I feel as teachers that we need to reflect/rely on some the the theorist's philosophies when we are creating lesson plans. There are so many things offer in them if we do it the correct way. I wouldn't ever second guess the correct way in the theories as there has been so much research done on them. Theories if used properly can really improve your teaching styles and help one become more effective in the classroom.
ReplyDeleteI feel all of the theories and theorists are good resources and very helpful. I liked Piaget's theory of Cognitive Development because it provides information about a child's thought process and how one would develop. I feel this will help me the most when I am teaching skills in a physical education class. This information can be very useful for a first year teacher. As I am going to be student teaching soon, this will help me to know the difference in learning for a 1st grader to a 5th grader.
Audrey I didn't even think about Bruner's concepts with visual aids and examples. It is very important to show everything you teach in a physical education setting. That is how students learn by demonstration and watching.
ReplyDelete